Tuesday 21 February 2017

Common English Idioms Video and Pictures

A video which describes ten common English idioms.


If you like this video, please click 'like' and subscribe to my Youtube channel.

Here are the idioms from the video:









A Couch Potato
Meaning: A person who watches a lot of television and has an inactive lifestyle.

Example: He watches tv and eats junk food all day. He’s such a couch potato.

A Race Against Time
Meaning: A situation where something must be done quickly before it is too late.
Example: It’s a race against time, because we will give the presentation in just two days’ time.

All Your Eggs in One Basket
Meaning: Don’t put all your resources or hopes in one place as you could lose everything.
Example: Buying only one stock is risky. You shouldn’t put all your eggs in one basket. You should buy other companies.

The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread
Meaning: A person or thing that is considered to be very good.
Example: I love this new phone app. It’s the best thing since sliced bread.

Burn the Candle at Both Ends
Meaning: Go to bed late and get up early.
Example: I’m so tired. I’ve been burning the candle at both ends. I’ve been working long hours and then coming home and writing my school assignment until late.

Drink Like A Fish
Meaning: Drink a large amount of alcohol.
Example: I’ve never seen anyone drink as much as Tony. He drinks like fish.

Over The Moon
Meaning: Extremely pleased or happy.
Example: I’m so happy that I got my dream job. I’m over the moon.

The Early Bird Catches the Worm
Meaning: The first person to act first will have the advantage.
Example: You should buy your tickets early, before the best seats sell out. The early bird catches the worm.

Time Flies
Meaning: Time passes surprisingly quickly.
Example: Oh, my gosh! Is that the time already? I’m going to be late for class. Time flies when you’re having fun.

Sleep on It
Meaning: Delay making a decision until the next day.
Example: I’m unsure, so I’ll sleep on it and tell you my decision tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment