Wednesday 16 May 2018

Past Habits Video

My latest Youtube video teaches how to talk about past habits using used to.



If you like this video, please click 'like' and subscribe to my Youtube channel.


Here's the script of the video:


In this video we will learn how to talk about past habits and repeated action using used toWe use used to + verb to talk about repeated actions in the past that don't happen anymore. For example:
I used to play video games, but now I'm too busy.

To make negative sentences we say didn't use to + verb.
I didn't use to like mushrooms, but I like them now.

Note that in spoken English we often say never used to rather than didn't use to.
I never used to do my homework on time.

Here is an example of a yes / no question:
Did you use to have a pet? Yes, I did. I used to have a dog.

Let's look at some more examples:
I used to do taekwondo when I was younger.
She used to take ballet lessons.
He didn't use to get good grades.
Did you use to play a lot of sports? Yes, I did. I used to play sports every day.
What board games did you use to play? I used to play Monopoly.

Used to is only used when talking about the past and shouldn't be confused with be used to or get used to. If you are used to something you are accustomed to it, for example:
I eat kimchi every day. I'm used to spicy food.

If you are getting used to something then you are becoming accustomed to it.
My new job is really demanding, but I'm slowly getting used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment