Wednesday 5 July 2017

Present Perfect Video

Here is my latest video about the present perfect.


If you like this video, please click 'like' and subscribe to my Youtube channel.

Here's the script of the video:


In this video we will learn how to use the present perfect. We use the present perfect to talk about events that affect the present. It is the present result that is the focus, rather than the moment of completion. To make present perfect sentences we use have/has plus the past participle. The present perfect has three functions:
1. to describe events in the past at an unspecified time.
2. to describe recent past events.
3. and to describe past events which are continuing through the present.

We talk about experience using the present perfect as events that took place at unspecified times. We use 'ever' to indicate in the lifetime of the subject, and 'never' for negative statements. For example: Have you ever been to New York? No, I haven't. I've never been to New York. Note we use 'been' to describe a completed action, and 'gone' to describe an action that is still happening. Lucy has been to London. This means 'She went to London in the past.' Lucy has gone to London. This means 'She is in London now.'

We also use the present perfect to describe recent events, such as: I have eaten lunch, so I'm not hungry. We often use the present perfect to find out if someone has experienced something, and then talk about that event in the past tense. Have you watched any good movies recently? Yes, I have. I watched The Avengers last weekend.

And finally we use the present perfect to describe past events which are continuing through the present, such as: How long have you been studying English? I have been studying English for five years. Or I have been studying English since I was 15 years old. We use 'yet' to indicate if an expected event has happened. Have you done your homework yet? Yes, I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment