Wednesday 16 August 2017

Future Plans and Predictions Video

Here is my latest video about the future plans and predictions using be going to.


If you like this video, please click 'like' and subscribe to my Youtube channel.

Here's the script of the video:

In this video we will learn how to use be going to to talk about the future. Be going to has two functions:
1. to describe future intentions and
2. to make predictions

We use be going to when we describe something we intend to do. Be going to is used when the decision was made in the past. If the decision is being made now, we generally use will instead of be going to. Compare these two sentences:
A: We're going to give James a surprise birthday party.
B: Great. I'll buy him a present.

We also use be going to when making predictions about the near future that are based on present evidence rather than our opinion. When talking about outcomes that we are less certain about, we would generally use will rather than be going to.
Compare these two sentences:
I missed my bus. I'm going to be late for work.
I think everyone will have their own robot in the future.

To make sentences we use subject + be + going to + verb. This chart shows the grammar we need to make be going to sentences. Let's look at some examples. What are you going to do tomorrow? I'm going to go jogging. What is she going to do on the weekend? She's going to relax. What are they going to do next summer? They're going to go on vacation.

For negative sentences we add not. I'm not going to lose. I'm going to win. He isn't going to be on time. or He's not going to be on time. He's going to be late. You aren't going to fail the exam. or You're not going to fail the exam. You're going to pass.

Here are some examples of yes / no questions. Am I going to be busy today? No, you're not. Is it going to rain? Yes, it is. Are they going to give her the job? Yes, they are.

In informal spoken English we often say gonna instead of going to. However, we would never use gonna in written English and it shouldn't be used in formal speech. Here's an example: I'm gonna watch a movie tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment