Wednesday 4 October 2017

Past Continuous Video

My latest Youtube video is a story using the past continuous.


If you like this video, please click 'like' and subscribe to my Youtube channel.

Here's the script of the video:

The Haunted House - A past continuous story

I was waking my dog, Max. It was starting to get dark. We were walking past an old, abandoned house when Max ran off and into the house. I called out to him, but he didn't come back. I walked towards the house and went through the open door. I was scared. I was looking for Max when I thought I saw a ghost. But when I walked closer, I saw that it was just a white curtain that was blowing in the wind. I was calling Max's name when I heard a crash from one of the rooms. I was terrified. I was walking into the room when a black cat ran past me. Then I heard Max barking in the backyard. He was digging up bones in the garden! He was digging in a pet cemetery. I grabbed Max's leash and ran home as fast as I could.

Now let's review the grammar used in this story.

The story used the past continuous to describe unfinished actions as they were happening within the story.

The past continuous has three main functions:
1. to describe background in a story
2. to describe actions in progress in the past
3. and to describe longer actions interrupted by shorter actions

This chart shows the grammar we need to make past continuous sentences. Let's look at some examples from the story.

It was starting to get dark. This sentence set the scene for the story.

I was walking my dog. This event was happening for a period of time in the story.

I was calling Max's name when I heard a crash. Here the action of calling his dog's name was interrupted by the scary sound that he heard.

1 comment: